Secure Remote Access — BSD VPN — Connection Guide for Windows
This document explains how to install, uninstall, upgrade and use BSD VPN, the Biological Sciences Division’s secure VPN, on a Windows computer.
Note: If you intend to use the BSD VPN, you will need to enroll in DUO Two-Factor Authentication and register a qualifying device. This is a requirement for the BSD instance of VPN. Step-by-step instructions are available at University of Chicago Information Technology Services Knowledge Base: Two-factor Authentication.
Note: The first time you use the VPN, you must be logged into an admin account. If you do not have administrative rights on your computer you will not be able to download the software. Also, we recommend that you have the latest version of Java on your computer before installing the VPN. You can find out if you have the latest version and download a new version at www.java.com.
Before Using the VPN for the First Time
If you have an old version of the campus VPN Client already installed on your machine, you can manually uninstall the old version with admin privileges.
To do this, go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and Remove the Cisco VPN Client.
After removing the old version, you’ll be prompted to reboot your machine; after rebooting, you can run the new installer. You can get download the new installer from here.
Some older installations of the VPN Client may refuse to uninstall. If you run into one of these, this Uninstall utility should provide the kick-start you need.
Using the VPN for the first time
- Point your browser to https://bsdvpn.uchicago.edu.
- Log in with your BSDAD Username and Password.
- The Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client should start install on your computer. This may take a few moments. NOTE: You may be asked to verify that you want to install the program from an “unknown publisher.” Select Yes or OK.
- When the install is complete, you will see the Cisco AnyConnect icon in your system tray (bottom right of your screen, by the clock).
- To see details of the VPN connection, right click the Cisco AnyConnect icon and select Open AnyConnect.
- To disconnect from the VPN, right click the Cisco AnyConnect icon and select Disconnect.
Subsequent times that you use the VPN
- Click Start > All Programs > Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Login with your BSDAD Username and Password. PLEASE NOTE: “Second Password” refers to the 6-digit numeric passcode generated by the DUO App on your phone. Alternatively, you can…
Type the word “push” to get a notification through the DUO app on your phone -or-
Type “sms” to send a text message to your phone -or-
Type “phone” to get a phone call
- The Cisco AnyConnect icon will display in the system tray.
Occasionally, Cisco AnyConnect VPN software will need to be updated. Check regularly for VPN updates at https://bsdvpn.uchicago.edu. If updates are available, you will be prompted to download and install the update. Updates will require Administrator privileges to install.